My husband and I love chicken wings, but most restaurants fry their wings in industrial “vegetable” oils, which are highly unstable and inflammatory, so we finally perfected our own, homemade, crispy chicken wings recipe.
Lulu’s BBQ, where we live in Louisville, Colorado, smokes their chicken wings, and although they’re delicious, they are marinated in a BBQ sauce and must be full of sugar. I still prefer Lulu’s smoked wings to fried wings, so it’s a treat when I find myself wanting someone else to cook for me.
Chicken wings are great to eat while watching a football game. Joel loves football, so we were at a game our community was hosting, but they were serving breaded chicken wings (apparently, the grocery story ran out of the un-breaded ones). What?! I was so disappointed because I was craving wings, but I didn’t want the fried, the breaded, nor the sugary ones.
I bought a bag of frozen wings, saw how easy it was to make them, and voila — our crispy chicken wings recipe was born. Then Joel perfected it when he came up with a well-seasoned butter sauce to toss the wings in. It helps that he worked at a Wings ‘N Things restaurant in high school. 🙂 Now we often make these at home.
When you are busy business owners and healthy foodies, you come up with quick and easy recipes that are healthy, delicious, and satisfying, and then you share them with the world!
Plus, with the Super Bowl 2018 coming up this weekend, for all of you football fans out there, and the rest of us who love to watch Super Bowl commercials while eating healthy football party food, this recipe is a must!
The beauty of this homemade crispy chicken wings recipe is that you don’t have to thaw the chicken wings, which makes this a breeze. They might taste better thawed, but I’ve been too busy lately to try 😉
2 lbs. bag of frozen chicken wings
3 tablespoons butter, melted (I use grass-fed butter)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Salt to taste (I use Himalayan pink salt)
- Turn on the oven broiler.
- Arrange frozen chicken wings on a broiler pan. Ensure there’s plenty of space between wings, so they get really crispy.
- Once the broiler is heated, place the broiler pan with chicken wings about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Broil for 25-30 minutes, turning chicken wings over every 5 minutes, until they are as crispy as you like them. We like them really crispy!
- Meanwhile, mix melted butter, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt in a large bowl.
- Toss cooked chicken wings in the butter sauce. Serve while warm.
We’ve also tried adding powdered mustard in addition to the above seasonings. Or, if you like them spicy, use a dash of cayenne pepper instead of Italian seasoning.
Love chicken as much as we do? Check out our Crispiest Baked Chicken recipe.