Berries are in season, so I tried adding a few sliced strawberries to my grain-free, and thus gluten-free, muffin-in-a-bowl recipe. It turned out so delicious (and so quick and easy to make) that I have to share the recipe.
Makes 1 serving
1 large egg, preferably pastured (I use pastured eggs from Vital Farms, which are available at most grocery stores in our area)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon almond flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
2 teaspoons low-carb sweetener (I use Lakanto® Classic White or Golden Monk Fruit Sweetener, which is available on Amazon.com)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt (I use Himalayan pink salt for its mineral content)
2 medium-sized strawberries, sliced
- Whisk the egg, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, sweetener, and salt in a small microwave-safe bowl or ramekin until well combined.
- Pour melted coconut oil into the bowl or ramekin and mix well.
- Add sliced strawberries by mixing them in (make sure they’re covered with the rest of the mixture).
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Remove the bowl using oven mittens (it will be hot!)
- Add grass-fed butter on top, if desired, let cool for a minute, and enjoy!
This grain-free muffin almost tastes like a sponge cake. You can fry it in a pan like a pancake. You can add some whipped cream on top, and it’s dessert!
Substitute cinnamon for strawberries to make a Cinnamon Muffin In A Bowl version of this recipe.